[tabi] Re: Your opinions needed from StarMetro

  • From: "Evelyn Worley" <eworley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:15:17 -0500

Re: Adams and Tennessee street signal. One of the reasons I originally thought
it should be a high priority is because although there is constant traffic on
Tennessee St., the parallel traffic coming through on Adams is sporadic and the
signal is short, making it difficult to determine when to cross Tennessee St.
using hearing only.

Here's a thought. Both the Greyhound Station and CK Steele Plaza take up an
entire block, sitting between Adams and Duval. While crossing Tennessee at
Adams would be difficult without an APS, crossing Tennessee one block away at
Duval is a lot easier. The traffic on Duval is much more constant (one way
heading north). The last time I was out there (it's been a while), the curb cut
at the NE corner of Duval and Tennessee (at the Greyhound station) was really
rough and somewhat of a tripping hazard. Would repairing the curb cut at that
corner provide a less expensive and safe alternative to crossing at Adams and
allow the Adams and Tennessee intersection to be dropped to a lower priority?

Evelyn Worley, COMS, CVRT
Assistant Director
Lighthouse of the Big Bend
(850) 942-3658 x203
Fax (850) 942-4518

Lighthouse of the Big Bend "Guiding People Through Vision Loss"
3071 Highland Oaks Terrace, Tallahassee, FL 32301

    From: Evelyn Worley
    To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Cc: Wayne Warner ; Toni King ; Tinetta Cooper ; Simone Cunningham ; Sharon
- home ; Michael Worley ; Jennifer Crowder ; Jeanine Kane ; Eva McElvy ;
Elizabeth S. Bowden ; Barbara Ross ; Angel Scruggs Fazio ; Amanda Kan ; Julia
Kamm-Cohen ; Waterman, Brian
    Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:01 PM
    Subject: [tabi] Your opinions needed from StarMetro

    Hi everyone. Brian Waterman with StarMetro asked if I could help out with
getting opinions and/or a consensus from the blind community about the
following items by this Friday, 3/1. In addition to posting on TABI, feel free
to send your comments directly to Brian at Brian.Waterman@xxxxxxxxxx .

    1.         FTA funding has now been approved to proceed with installing the
braille signage at bus stops! It is logical to begin installing them in the
areas where the bus routes intersect. What other areas and stops do you see as
a priority, and why?

    2.         So far, the City and StarMetro have installed audible
signals/APS at 10 out of the 15 intersections that were identified as being
"high priority." The rest are still in the works. A change to the priority list
(see attached list) has been requested. When the list was originally created,
it was determined that an audible signal/APS at Adams St. and Tennessee St. was
of high priority. Since then, several of the buses have been re-routed to go
into the transfer plaza, decreasing the necessity for riders to walk in the
vicinity to make their transfers. It is being recommended that the Adams and
Tennessee intersection be dropped to a lower priority. Instead, it is being
recommended that the city proceed with installation of audible signals/APS at
the two following intersections (already listed as a high priority): a) Mahan
Dr. and Magnolia Dr. and b) Seventh Ave. and Monroe St. (near the Senior
Center).

    Please weigh in on each of these topics. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!