[tabi] Why Cant We Serve

  • From: "Sila Miller" <Silamiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 07:16:13 -0500

Good morning FCB,

I trust that everyone is well and had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I received the
below information from a devoted advocacy friend. Since service in the military
has long been near and dear to my heart, I wanted to share it with you. It
deals with people with disabilities serving in the military. Several years
back, FCB wrote a resolution. While it passed locally, it didn’t go anywhere
nationally. Hopefully, with Marty and others’ efforts, it just might now.

I’d like to thank all of you in advance for your enthusiasm, your willingness
to help and for your financial support. One person can create ideas which can
lead to important changes in our country, and one meaningful project can make a
difference in millions of lives!

Hello,

My name is Marty Klein and I’m a blind veteran. I lost my sight while serving
in the Air Force during the Vietnam era. I learned a lot over the past forty
years as a blind man, and now want to share with you, and with the whole
country, some insights about the military, the disabled and our returning
wounded soldiers. I want to make a film about what I learned.

Watch the trailer here: Why Can't We Serve

Donate to the project here: Why Cant We Serve Hatchfund Campaign

I have five goals for this project. First I want to raise $76,500 towards the
making of a full length documentary. Once the money has been raised I want to
make a film that clearly exposes the military as behind the times with regard
to all people with disabilities. I want to get the documentary widely
distributed in an attempt to influence the American public about my findings. I
want to align with already existing, well respected organizations, so that
together we can work toward legislation and policy change. And finally I want
to have this film be a positive influence toward a shift in our culture about
how the American public views all people with disabilities.

Even after 25 years, the US military is still exempt from the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA). Our first step toward having this antiquated law
changed, is to produce a documentary to educate and get the word out. Please
support this important cause by contributing any amount to our fund raising
campaign. You can contribute by going to our web site, www.whycantweserve.com.
You can also watch a short 4 minute video for more information about the
project. We’d also be grateful if you would share this and help spread the
word, thank you.

In the next 2 months I will be sending out weekly updates about the Why Can’t
We Serve project. These updates will keep you abreast of the latest. Find out
which celebrity has come on board to promote this documentary. Learn which
organizations have signed up in support of our goals. Check out the latest
media coverage. Find out when I may be on radio or TV and where the next
gathering is to support the project!

Thanks for showing an interest in this project. I believe it’s meaningful and
timely. I look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully,

Marty Klein

845-679-7532

whycantweserve@xxxxxxxxx