[tabi] Re: Ways to lower your energy bill - Sunday,

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:24:20 -0500

it's pretty tough on renters, because almost everything you can do, other
than changing your thermostat (other than Robert that is), involves spending
money on appliances and the house, which you can't really do, and can very
seldom get the owner to do.  There is a program called LIHEAP which does
help those near the poverty line with their energy bills, regardless of
whether your a renter or an owner, and I think receiving SSDI or SSI may
automatically qualify you for it.  call the city and ask about LIHEAP (low
income home energy assistance program).

I will try and find info on this, but I recall some business advertising
that they could do something to your windows (sealing them, or putting a
film on them), to make them more energy efficient, without you having to
spend too much money.  There was an article recently pointing out the rising
per centage of your electricity which is used by TVs stereos computers, and
other home electronics; especially when they're in a stand by mode, waiting
to be activated.  so, if you have something like a large screen tv, which is
very warm even when you're not watching it, then maybe consider unplugging
it.

Also, ask the city if an energy audit is offered to renters; maybe they can
find places to add weather stripping say, and other changes, which aren't
expensive, but which make a big difference.

hth,

Chip

hth,

Chip