[tabi] Leader Dog Unveils Navigation Tech for theBlind

  • From: "Sila Miller" <silam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 08:34:21 -0400

Good morning Tallahassee(ers),
Thought the below might be of interest or help to some.
Take care,
Sila

Hello Everyone,

I urge those of you who are interested in an affordable, easy to use GPS to
read the message below.

I used a Trekker for several years and have successfully used the GPS that
works with the Braille Sense Notetaker.

I was invited to test the Kapten Plus described in the message below because
I am a member of the GDUI Board as the organization's Affiliate Liaison.

The unit is quite small and quite simple to use.  The unit holds the map of
the entire US and, as a result, one can travel anywhere without having to
load maps and the like.  It works with either a speaker or headphone, both
with a microphone button enabling the user to give command via voice.  The
option to use the unit's buttons to give commands is also an option.  The
Free Navigation mode is great if you are cruising around.

I had the unit only a very short time when Dena and I went off to Nashville.
I used it quite successfully and easily during the trip.  Even when my
friend, Pam, and I were working our dogs in company with folks who know the
area better than we do, knowing the street names was quite helpful as we
worked mostly along West End Avenue wich is a very heavily trafficked area.
Even though my friend, Pam, grew up in the city and went to college in the
area in which we mostly traveled, there is absolutely no way to truly
recognize street entrances without the dogs' stopping and the friendly voice
of the GPS warning that a certain street is ahead.

Although this GPS does exhibit some of the flaws of all GPS technology, it
is still quite easy to use, accurate and its price point is very attractive.
This is definitely an option for folks who do not plan to purchase an IPhone
in the near future or who do not have the funds to purchase a notetaker GPS
or Trekker option.

There are options that I very much love about my Braille Sense GPS,
especially the option to see where I'm going via the Braille display.  It is
great, though, not to have to take my expensive notetaker everywhere now.

The GPS does use the computer's USB ports for charging.  However, for around
$31.00, I purchased from Office Depot a small carrying case and a device
with four USB ports with an electrical plug so that my unit can charge and I
can still access my computer's USB ports for other things.  The GPS uses one
USB port and the speaker uses another.  With the charging option that I
chose, there is absolutely no need to own a computer or to understand one
thing about computer technology.  The voice is a clear, crisp female voice
much like the voice that one hears when driving with someone using a GPS.

The batteries cannot be overcharged and Leader Dogs recommends that the GPS
and its speaker be left on charge when they are not being used.  The battery
life of the GPS and its speaker is five hours.

Leader is making this unit available to its current and former graduates at
no cost.  Because they want to make this unit available to everyone who
wishes it, the pricepoint is $295.

Please understand that I am forwarding this message only for your
information and consideration.

Respectfully,

Debbie Grubb
debbiecg@xxxxxxxxxxx