[tabi] Re: Fw: VIRUS WARNING

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:46:13 -0400

Thanks Barbara; unfortunately this one is real.

everyone should try and understand how they could tell that it's a real
threat: it's not by remembering you once saw a warning about email from
UPS or Fed Ex or whatever; next time it may be from Bank of America.

the give away is that there is an attachment (which should make you
cautious).

scanning the attachment with your anti-virus program is not enough;
often it will come back as ok because it's new, and the virus scanners
don't know about it yet.

in this case the attachment was hidden in a zip file.  opening a zip
file is ok, once you're sure it is a zip file that is.

the problem was that inside of the zip file was a .exe file, which
unfortunately displayed visually the icon of a Word document (icons can
be embedded inside of .exe files).  so, a lot of people saw the icon and
not the file name, and clicked on it, and ran the program, and got the
virus.

the clue for trouble here is the .exe attachment.  almost no one should
be sending you a program to be run on your pc, and as I said, scanning
it is a good idea, but if it comes back ok, it doesn't really mean much.

so, if you get an attachment be careful about checking it out; companies
do sometimes send attachments; but stop if it's a program.