[tabi] Re: FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind to Distribute Freedom Scientific's JAWSR Training Bundle

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 19:25:11 -0400

I myself believe this is quite a conflict of interest; having a consumer
organization (which is supposed to advocate for the blind) form a business
relationship with one of the suppliers of assistive technology that the
blind depend upon so critically, opens the advocacy group up to possible
public perception of not pirsuing any issues which negatively reflects upon
Freedom Scientific as fully or as vigorously as they otherwise may have
done. It causes me to think less of the NFB for taking an action which may
be seen as advocating for a business rather than the blind whom they are
supposed to serve.

Chip Orange

to Distribute Freedom Scientific's JAWSR Training Bundle

Behalf Of Wichmann, Jessica via Nfbnet-members-list
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 5:41 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind to
Distribute Freedom Scientific's JAWSR Training Bundle

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen@xxxxxxx

National Federation of the Blind to Distribute
Freedom Scientific's JAWSR Training Bundle

NFB Independence Market to Sell Training Bundle Exclusively on NLS Cartridge

Baltimore, Maryland (April 22, 2015): The National Federation of the Blind
<http://www.nfb.org/> , the nation's leading advocate for access by the
blind to information and technology, is pleased to be distributing the Job
Access with Speech (JAWS) Training Bundle developed by Freedom Scientific
<http://freedomscientific.com/> , the manufacturer of the powerful JAWS
screen reader and other popular access technologies. The National Federation
of the Blind Independence Market is exclusively selling the JAWS Training
Bundle on cartridges designed for use with the free DAISY playback equipment
available from the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped of the Library of Congress (NLS). This training solution
contains over fifty hours of training in the DAISY audio format on how to
use JAWS with your computer. All training is performed by JAWS-certified
instructors from Freedom Scientific. Topics include JAWS basics, using JAWS
with Windows 7 and 8 and with Microsoft Office 2010 and 2013, using JAWS on
the internet, reading PDF files with JAWS, and more.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"The National Federation of the Blind is committed to providing useful
products and resources to blind Americans, and to ensuring that they have
access to training on the use of cutting-edge technologies. Working with
Freedom Scientific to make the JAWS Training Bundle available to more blind
people in a format that they can easily use is certainly consistent with our
mission and represents another great milestone in the productive
relationship we are building with Freedom Scientific, one of the leading
innovators in the access technology field."

John Blake, CEO of Freedom Scientific, said: "Our JAWS Training Bundle is
designed to complement the training provided by teachers of the visually
impaired and to promote self-study. Thanks to the NFB's support and
commitment, this partnership will provide more students and professionals
the opportunity to develop their computer skills to achieve their
professional and personal goals."

Ellen Ringlein, manager of the NFB Independence Market, said: "We are proud
to offer the JAWS Training Bundle in this portable format, which affords
users many advantages. Since the training content is on an NLS cartridge,
legally blind individuals can obtain playback equipment from their library
for the blind at no charge. Students can now study the JAWS training
materials from the comfort of their own homes and learn at their own pace.
It is easy to start and stop training, jump to or repeat particular lessons,
and access specific parts of the training for reference whenever needed.
Purchasing the training bundle is less expensive per hour than paying for
one-on-one training. Offering the JAWS Training Bundle in this format
represents exactly the kind of usefulness and convenience that we strive for
in all of our NFB Independence Market product offerings."

For more information about the JAWS Training Bundle on the NLS cartridge or
other products and literature available from the NFB Independence Market,
please email independencemarket@xxxxxxx or call (410) 659-9314, extension
2216. You may also browse our catalog and ecommerce site
<https://nfb.org/independence-market> online.

###

blindness is not what holds you back.

About Freedom Scientific

Freedom Scientific is the leading worldwide provider of assistive technology
products for those with vision impairments. The Company sells its products
worldwide and has offices in Florida and Switzerland. The Company's products
have been translated into 24 languages and are available in 55 countries.