[tabi] Re: Community Transport Budget Woes Strand Disabled Residents

  • From: "Barbara Lineberry" <bkblpp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 00:03:00 -0400

Sorry, I meant to write Lynn only.  But maybe Robert had the jist of it in his
post.

Barbara
  I get a message that the address you gave is not valid.

  Barbara
                Community Transport Budget Woes Strand Disabled Residents

                Last Updated: 6:16 PM May 13, 2009
                Reporter: Lauren Searcy
                Email Address: Lauren.Searcy@xxxxxxx

                0 comments

                "I can take a walk to the store but can you see me walking down
27, no sidewalks, no safe area but the grass and the ditch and it's that way
all over the county, these people would have to walk to town in their wheel
chairs, walkers, canes, in the heat, in the rain," said Hadassah VaShem who is
legally blind.

                One of those people who is now affected is Dorothy Martin. She
used to run errands with the Dial-A-Ride program, but now she has her
prescriptions mailed in, never gets to church and only visits with friends who
come to see her.

                " I have no lifestyle, no life at all. I have relatives on the
road that will not take me anywhere lots of times, and I depend on the transit
system," said Dorothy Martin, who is completely blind in both eyes.

                But the system that helps elderly and disabled folks recently
hit a financial setback and had to prioritize trips.

                "Since the budget is tight right now, that's something the
board decided to do to ensure that those who had medical trips and other types
of much needed trips can still be done for the community," said Ronald
Garrison, Star Metro Director.

                Dorothy and Hadassah understand state funding isn't there. But
they're afraid the program will be cut all together if members of the community
don't step up to the plate.

                "If it doesn't personally affect them, they don't care. If it's
not their grandmother that's sick, if it's not their aunt, or uncle that's
being directly affected they don't care," added VaShem