[tabi] Re: Comcast

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:34:26 -0400

Hi Darla,

You don't need to do anything except get a new box.

FYI, for some strange reason the new box will only give you the digital
version of the same channels you had under premium basic cable; that is,
those under 100.

However, at no charge, you can call Comcast and get switched over to
"digital starter", which adds a lot of extra channels above 100.  It
costs no more than premium basic cable, and it made sense back when
premium basic was preferred by those who didn't want a cable box; this
was a way comcast was using to get people to switch to digital (by
offering it at no extra charge).

but now that we all *must* have a box for anything other than the 6
local channels, it makes no sense not to switch us all over to digital
starter!  But no, you must call and ask for it!  It's really needless.

Those 6 local channels by the way, Comcast is required by the FCC to
offer those to you in analog format (so no cable box), and at a price
around $12 a month.  So if that's all you want, insist enough and you
can have just those (now pushed to channels 2 through 7), and no cable
box.

For those who want more than that, for about $15 more you can get even
more digital channels with the next level of digital plan ("digital
preferred").

and for those with sighted people in the house, be aware that all this
talk of digital cable does not mean HD at all!  You get ABC in HD (and
perhaps all the local channels in HD I'm still trying to verify that),
but nothing else.  Digital is still being sent to you by Comcast at
standard TV resolution.

You have to pay more for a group of HD channels, and the first level of
HD package is $8 a month more.  These are channels numbered higher than
384; so any channel above that is HD, but it almost always just an HD
version of a channel you're already getting in lower resolution.  Of
course, you must have a new HD TV.

It's amazingly difficult to get all of this explained to you by a
Comcast rep, and it's a modern miracle if you can find it on the Comcast
web site!

Hth,