[tabi] City aproves nova 2010

  • From: "Easy Talk" <easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 05:57:12 -0400

Here is the article that was in the paper to-day.  This is upsetting to me
since approximately 75 percent of the people who attended were against the
change as presented in Star Metro's final plan.  All I can say is the
commissioners voted last night and I will vote at the next election I guess
politicians don't listen.  I hope one day all of them have to use what they
just passed.
I have never heard of such a rediceouless process of passing a plan that was in
no way complete.  I guess I was right from the beginning when I said it was a
done deal before the first public hearing.

Robert

Tallahassee Democrat
Published: March 25, 2010
Star Metro redesign gains city of Tallahassee approval
By
TaMaryn Waters
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER
A massive revamp of Tallahassee's bus system was approved unanimously Wednesday
by
the City Commission.
The often controversial "Nova 2010" plan drew nearly two dozen speakers who
offered
a mix of support for an upgraded system and deep-rooted concerns about safety
and
the impact on those riders with physical disabilities.
The plan, orchestrated by StarMetro, was slated for launch by the end of this
year.
The date has been pushed back to possibly the end of 2011, said Ron Garrison,
StarMetro
executive director.
StarMetro and the city's Public Works Department are hoping to get federal money
to install more audible devices at intersections, which aid those who are
visually
impaired. And after much criticism, the city intends to build more sidewalks
where
needed, particularly in areas near the system's bus transfer points.
"If it takes a little longer to do it right, then we'll take that time,"
Garrison
said.
StarMetro's overall budget for 2010 is roughly $16 million. Garrison said the
Nova
2010 plan will cost $36,000 less than the current cost to operate the bus
system.
Efforts to restructure the bus system started about 16 months ago, and StarMetro
staffers have since held nearly 100 public meetings. The original plan evolved
into
nine different versions due to feedback received, according to planners.
The plan will reduce the 26 current routes to 12 "crosstown" routes, which will
include
nearly 43 transfer points. The decentralized concept is designed to eliminate
the
need to transfer at the C.K. Steele Plaza downtown. Planners say buses will come
to bus stops more frequently, and the plan may attract more riders.
One major change is the elimination of some routes, and buses will no longer go
through
residential neighborhoods. Residents may have to walk up to half a mile to a bus
stop, compared to a quarter mile typical now.
Linda Pulliam, a Tallahassee bus rider since 1991, said the plan is going to
leave
some residents without transportation they depend on.
"I'm opposed to it because it's not ready yet," she said. "It's not a good plan.
It's like trying to put a square peg into something round."
Some residents, including those representing state workers and the Greater
Tallahassee
Chamber of Commerce, said they are looking forward to an upgrade. Others say
change
was inevitable.
"As times goes on, the changing demand will change even further," said Greg
Thompson,
chair of the city's Transit Advisory Committee. "We think, though, that time to
make
a change is now."
Owen McCaul, a rider concerned about Nova 2010, said Tallahassee continues to be
a dangerous place for pedestrians, and he mentioned the "Dangerous by Design"
report,
done by the Surface Transportation Policy Partnership and Transportation for
America.
It gave Tallahassee a "pedestrian-danger index" of 109.4 - more than twice the
national
number of 52.1.
The commissioners agreed there were still safety issues and other looming
questions,
such as fares, that have to be addressed. But they agreed to move forward.
"Change in general for our citizens is kind of hard to do," Commissioner Mark
Mustian
said. "In concept, I think we need to do this."
[
Back
 ] [
 ]