[tabi] Re: Blind drivers plot their own course

  • From: "Easy Talk" <easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 09:38:39 -0400

Yes, I heard Wal-Mart was doing this.

Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:14 PM
Subject: [tabi] Re: Blind drivers plot their own course

Well, thst' exactly the problem the new generation of "high sensitivity"
receivers, like the one I just ordered, is supposed to solve.  they are
supposed to give under 6 feet accuracy, as well as find extremely week
signals.

still, a commercial building is full of steal, and full of electrical noise
sources.

The research on RFID readers that I've read, leads me to think that soon it
won't be just merchandise marked with RFID tags in a big place like the
mall; they're experimenting with using RFID markers for blind people to tell
them where they are.  The RFID reader has a description it can reader for
each near-by marker, so your portible reader would tell you when you got
near one which said "meat department".  some stores are working with
robotics developers to build shopping carts which let you tell the cart
which items you want to purchase, and the cart has a map of the store, it's motorized, it takes you there, and knows where everything is because of the
RFID markers.  they were doing it for blind or elderly shoppers, but they
said they may make the carts available to anyone who wants to use them
because they can't find everything in a big store.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

A voice rose above the chatter in the University of Maryland parking
lot: "Blind man driving!"

Twenty people took turns piloting a car on this muggy Friday morning,
the first public test of technology that might one day overcome
barriers to putting the blind behind the wheel.

The quest to drive has captivated the blind community as it has become
more integrated into a car-centric society. Some likened Friday's test
to a moon landing -- a fitting analogy, considering that the prototype
vehicle vaguely resembled a lunar rover.

"One day, we'll be on the road with them," said Ishaan Rastogi, 15, a
blind New Jersey high school student with a Yankees cap pulled over
his eyes and the first to test the vehicle.

The event capped a
<http://www.blindscience.org/ncbys/youth_slam.asp>summer
science academy
organized by the National Federation of the Blind for 200 blind and
low-vision young people from across the country. The youths had spent
the week rock climbing, bungee-jumping and launching weather balloons,
activities tailored to teach that there is no limit to what a blind
person can do.

Virginia Tech engineers started work on the vehicle in response to a
2004 challenge from the blindness advocacy group to build a vehicle
that the blind could drive with the same freedom as the sighted.

"Blind people can do all sorts of things that the public doesn't think
we can do," said Chris Danielsen, spokesman for the federation.
The blind can read ordinary books with a hand-held device that
translates type to synthetic speech. Adaptive devices permit blind
users to interact with computers and surf the Internet.

Driving without sight became a conceivable goal in this decade with
the development of autonomous, computer-guided vehicles. The Defense
Advanced Research Projects Agency ran a series of
<http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/index.asp>contests to inspire a
driverless car that could navigate complex terrain. By 2007, vehicles
from Virginia Tech and several other universities could complete the
DARPA course.

But an autonomous vehicle wasn't enough.

"We want the blind person to be the driver, not to be driven," said
Matt Lippy, 21, a member of the nine-person design team at
<http://www.me.vt.edu/romela/RoMeLa/RoMeLa.html>Virginia
Tech's Robotics &
Mechanisms Laboratory.

The design team first sought to customize Virginia Tech's entry in the
2007 DARPA contest, a modified Ford Escape that finished third in the
competition. But the engineers decided it would be easier to start
from scratch. They purchased an all-terrain vehicle online for $1,300
in fall
2008 and began anew.

They mounted a laser sensor to the front of the vehicle to sweep the
terrain ahead and return a signal. A powerful computer at the rear of
the buggy interprets the signal to build a two-dimensional map,
showing obstacles in the vehicle's path.

But how to show that map to a person who cannot see?

Researchers boiled down the data to two crucial factors: direction and
speed. A computer voice signals the driver through headphones how to
steer to avoid a collision -- one click to the left, for example;
three clicks to the right.

"We call it a back-seat driver," Lippy said.

The increments correspond to notches cut from the steering wheel. The
driver turns the wheel and hears an audible "click."

The computer communicates speed with vibrations fed through a vest
worn by the driver. Stronger vibrations indicate it is time to stop.
Sensors automatically kill the engine if the vehicle gets too close to
an impediment. For the test drives, engineers rigged the buggy for a
top speed of 15 mph.

One by one Friday morning, drivers buzzed around Parking Lot 1D, empty
save for traffic cones placed at intervals around light poles.
There were no mishaps.

"It's finally a chance to drive," said Angel Reyes, 16, a junior at
New Brunswick High School in New Jersey, as he climbed from the
vehicle.
"Finally a chance to be more independent in getting where you want to
go."

When the team first tested the buggy in May, three blind drivers
completed a curved course without hitting a single cone. In fact, the
blind drivers -- who had never driven before -- fared better than the
engineers themselves, who tried steering the car blindfolded. Lippy
thinks that the experienced drivers tended to ignore the computer
signals and follow their own instincts; the blind drivers obeyed the
computer to the letter.

The blind drivers posed questions that had not occurred to the
engineers.
How would they find the vehicle in a parking lot? If they had to jump
the battery, how could they tell the positive cable from the negative?

The engineers say their first Blind Driver Challenge vehicle is crude.
The computer can sense and avoid obstacles but cannot plot a course to
a destination. The team is working on a more sophisticated interface
to deliver signals to drivers. Their goal is to convert the
two-dimensional map plotted by the computer into something a blind
driver can touch.

They have tested a grid of air holes that shoot bursts of air, using
various pulses and pressures, to convey topographical data. (A higher
pressure could signal hills or bumps.)

"You have to understand, this is a prototype," said Dennis Hong, an
associate professor at Virginia Tech who directs the robotics lab.
"First time in the history of mankind."

He predicts a safe, stable technology for blind motorists will arrive
"within the next three years. The problem is not the technology. The
problem is public perception and legal issues."

He urges detractors to think of the last time they flew in an
airplane. "On autopilot," he said. "Nobody questions that."

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Subscribe: vicug-l-subscribe-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

if you'd like to unsubscribe you can do so through the freelists.org
web interface, or by sending an email to the address
tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject.

interface, or by sending an email to the address
tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

interface, or by sending an email to the address
tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

interface, or by sending an email to the address
tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

interface, or by sending an email to the address
tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

interface, or by sending an email to the address
tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

interface, or by sending an email to the address
tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject.

"unsubscribe" in the subject.