[tabi] Re: 3 questions about using NVDA or Window-Eyes with voice input on a windows 8 computer

  • From: Chip Orange <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:32:09 +0000

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, you are out of luck here:

#1 No, no scripts for Dragon except those for Jaws, which do cost several
hundred dollars.
@.  My app is named WSR (which is the common abbreviation for Windows Speech
Recognition).  However, it's not a full working app, only an example showing
how the WSR can be made to work with Window-Eyes.  I added the speaking of
several critical WSR dialogs, and I added a few Window-Eyes verbal commands
showing how you can cause it to read the line and things like that.  It was
always meant for some other developer to pick up and finish, but it seems no
one was interested.

3. I'll look for a WSR text manual I know I've seen and I'll send it to you;
there are also wiki sites for it, etc.  There's also a mailing list, which I
was monitoring for a year, where those working with WSR said it had a
recognition rate about as good as Dragon; but since it was free, it had little
documentation and no support at all.

I played with WSR for a while, and it's very cool; you can define very
wide-ranging commands for it to interpret, the way Siri does, such as What is
the cell number for Joe Smith", and it would speak the answer to you.  I
learned a lot of this from the mailing list posts, not from the documentation,
which is fairly minimal.

When I find the manual, if I can find the info on the mailing list, I'll send
that to you also.

I'm sorry if you don't want to take on programming an app for WSR and
Window-Eyes, your only choice then is to buy jaws, buy Dragon, and then buy the
Jaws macros.  You're probably in for at least $2000 to do that; that's why I
think getting Window-Eyes for free, and the Window Speech Recognition for free,
is so attractive for someone who may want to learn to program an app for it.

Hth,

Computer Systems Analyst
850-413-6314