[sysconfig1] Windows Update stalls

  • From: Burt Philp <bphilp@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sysconfig1 list <sysconfig1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 08:17:58 -0500

Recently somebody asked me if I knew why when using XP, the Windows
Update scan would stall at 0%. From my experience I thought this
behaviour was an XP "feature", but I have since observed it with Windows
98 as well. So I did a little research and this is what I discovered.

It is unclear what the precise problem is, but it seems to be related to
the use of a secure https connection. The workaround to get the service
to work is to make a change to the client-side configuration of Internet
Explorer.

Workaround
In Tools, Internet Options, Security tab, select "Trusted Sites", and
then select the "Sites..." button. Uncheck the checkbox labelled
"Require server verification (https) for all sites in this zone", then
Add http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com to the list of sites. Finish
by confirming the dialog boxes selecting "OK".

Burt