[sysconfig1] Test #2 Pointers

  • From: "Burt Philp" <bphilp@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sysconfig1 list" <sysconfig1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:28:34 -0500

Here are some pointers to help you prepare for next week's test.

1. Know the differences between file systems for the different versions of
Windows, Linux and Mac OS, e.g. how drives are partitioned, logical drives,
clusters, superblocks etc. What are inodes?
2. What are the differences between NTFS, FAT and FAT32? What is VFAT? What
is ASCII, UNICODE?
3. Know the differences and similarities between the different operating
systems we have installed. What are the different requirements for these
operating systems? What are the steps for installing the different OSes?
4. What is the formatting process? Know the different options of the format
command.
5. How does DOS/Windows keep track of files stores on disk?
6. What is the MBR and what role does it play in the boot process?
7. What is fragmentation?
8. What is Plug and Play? Which OSes support it?
9. What is the role of the AUTOEXEC.BAT  and CONFIG.SYS files?
10. What are some of the considerations when upgrading operating systems?
11. Know the common commands used in Linux and DOS for making directories,
changing directories, listing directory contents, etc. And know how to use
them.
12. The OSes we discussed all have similar utilities for system maintenance.
What are these utilities called?
13. What are the reasons for the growing popularity of Linux?

If you are comfortable with these topics you should be well prepared for the
next test.

Burt

---
Burt Philp