[sysconfig1] Re: PCI modem setup

  • From: "Wess Bechard" <tobechar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sysconfig1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 00:59:02 -0500

For those of you that are new to linux, dont even attempt to configure your
modem unless you know it is NOT a software modem, (WINMODEM).  Winmodems are
the ripped down version of a real modem, which requires a great deal of CPU
cycles.  If you have a nice ISA Modem with jumpers, you'll have the easiest
time.  I do not know of many PCI hardware modems,  so i recommend sticking
to the ISA hardware modems.  Also, a few winmodem for linux HAVE been
ongoing, although I have yet to hear of a winmodem functioning under the
linux OS.

-Wess