[sysconfig1] Large Drive Installation

  • From: "Burt Philp" <bphilp@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sysconfig1 list" <sysconfig1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:49:37 -0500

Here's a tip that you may find handy:

* TIP: RECOGNIZING A DRIVE'S TOTAL CAPACITY
   (contributed by David Chernicoff, david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Because extreme-capacity ATA hard drives are becoming so commonplace,
I decided to upgrade one of my computers with a 160GB hard disk. You
can imagine my annoyance when the computer didn't recognize the hard
disk's total capacity. To get the hard disk to work correctly, I had
to do two things (if you install a hard disk that has a capacity of
more than 137GB, you'll need to take these same steps).

First, I had to check the BIOS to make sure that 48-bit Logical Block
Addressing (LBA) support is available. For my system, I needed to
download and install a BIOS upgrade to my Promise Technology Ultra 100
ATA controller card.

Second, I had to upgrade my Windows XP computer to Service Pack 1
(SP1) and modify the registry by performing the following steps
(48-bit LBA support is currently only available in Windows XP):
   1. Launch regedit.
   2. Open the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
registry subkey.
   3. Add a REG_DWORD value name EnableBigLba and set its value to 1.
   4. Exit regedit.
   5. Reboot.

FROM:Windows Client UPDATE--brought to you by the Windows & .NET Magazine
Network
   http://www.winnetmag.net

Burt