[sysconfig1] Re: Boot Error

  • From: "Wess Bechard" <tobechar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sysconfig1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 18:39:09 -0500

Mike, first make sure that the Hard drive's IDE and poer cables are
completely inserted in the motherboard as well as the hard drive.  Next, do
a simple test.  Try booting from a cold start, without previously beidng
turned on.  If windows only starts when you do a warm ctrl-alt-del reboot,
you could have a problem in your cmos, virus or settings.  If the drive ONLY
starts when you soft boot, you might be experiencing Stiction, your hard
disk may be getting hung up until it has been spun for a while.  stiction
only occurs on older drives, as in 2 years or more of age.  It is most
likely to happen when the computer has been sitting off for a while.  reply
if you think it could be stiction, and i can help you with some more
details.

-Wess Bechard