[swacuho] FW: SWACUHO Fall 2014 Newsletter

  • From: "Paschall, Whitney" <whitney.paschall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "CHO@xxxxxxxxxxx" <CHO@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "swacuho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <swacuho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 21:40:51 +0000

Hi Everyone,
Below is our Fall 2014 Newsletter.  I hope you all enjoy it.  There are many
new faces in the region, and some fabulous articles in this issue.  Have a
wonderful weekend.
Whitney Paschall

SWACUHO News - Fall 2014 Newsletter
View this email in your
browser<http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a&id=de91effd19&e=5512ebe734>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a/images/331c52c7-c7e8-4365-93b2-f9d77d6e5cfe.png]

SWACUHO Newsletter Fall 2014

Congratulations! All of you have survived your Fall training, opening and the
first few weeks of school!  I always enjoy trying to explain what we do to
those who don’t work in Higher Education or Student Affairs and sometimes to my
colleagues in other Student Affairs offices.  I actually get a little snippy
when they say “I couldn’t do your job” and inside I think, “No, no you
couldn’t”.  It takes special people to do the work we do – up early for several
days, teaching college students to plan activities, recognize other students
who may be in crisis, watch extremely entertaining lip syncs or skits, and all
the other things we do.  The fun stuff sticks in my mind, but the things that
make a difference are always the conversations we have with a student about
their day or their classes, attending a meeting to discuss a new initiative for
your department that you know will make a student’s experience better or
meeting with a young professional who is excited and enthusiastic about the
work they are doing.  I know for me all of that makes coming to the office or
getting the late night phone call worth it.

The executive board, host committee and committee chairs will be meeting in
Norman October 20-21 for our mid-year meetings.  The host committee here is
excited for all of you to join us in March.  They are working hard on getting
ready.  I hope all of you have submitted program proposals for this year’s
conference.  We have so much to offer each other and programs, poster displays
and roundtable discussions are all great opportunities to share what it is we
are proud of on each of our campus’s but also new ideas to bring back to
strengthen our own communities.

I want to see the pictures of those CHO/SHO who did the Ice Bucket Challenge!
As you can see below, my staff was very helpful in accomplishing the challenge
for me!  The timing couldn’t have been better- it was a HOT day here in Norman,
OK!

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you or your campus.  Have
a good October!

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a/images/8d942498-cd94-4340-a2d7-43fd70b0edd4.png]
Diane Brittingham

SWACUHO President
University of Oklahoma

dbrittingham@xxxxxx<mailto:dbrittingham@xxxxxx>

In This Issue

  *   From The President
  *   2014-15 SWACUHO Executive Board
  *   Arkansas State Director
  *   Texas State Director
  *   Mid-Year Meeting
  *   Call for Programs
  *   SWACUHO Awards
  *   SWACUHO Spotlight
  *   Congratulations to Fall Conference Scholarship winners!
  *   Confessions of an Ex-Housing Professional
  *   Kim Brown
  *   Diverse Perspectives in Housing
  *   Baylor University’s South Russell Gets a New Lease on Life
  *   New SWACUHO Website Launched!
  *   Arkansas Tech University Welcomes Five New Resident Directors
  *   New staff in Residence Life at Texas A&M
  *   Campus Living & Learning at Baylor University Welcomes Their New Staff
  *   Oklahoma State University Welcomes New Staff
  *   Sam Houston State University Welcomes New Staff
  *   Texas Tech University Welcomes New Staff
  *   Put in your Bid for SWACUHO RA Conference!
  *   Texas Rising

READ THE FULL ISSUE ONLINE
<http://swaccuho.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a&id=7fac0b4d15&e=5512ebe734>

Copyright © 2014 Southwest Association of College & University Housing
Officers, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Southwest Association of College & University Housing Officers
624 W. University #418
Denton, TX 76207-1889

Add us to your address
book<http://swaccuho.us8.list-manage1.com/vcard?u=39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a&id=0c997b4578>

unsubscribe from this
list<http://swaccuho.us8.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a&id=0c997b4578&e=5512ebe734&c=de91effd19>
    update subscription
preferences<http://swaccuho.us8.list-manage.com/profile?u=39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a&id=0c997b4578&e=5512ebe734>

This email was sent to whitney.paschall@xxxxxxx<mailto:whitney.paschall@xxxxxxx>
why did I get
this?<http://swaccuho.us8.list-manage.com/about?u=39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a&id=0c997b4578&e=5512ebe734&c=de91effd19>
    unsubscribe from this
list<http://swaccuho.us8.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a&id=0c997b4578&e=5512ebe734&c=de91effd19>
    update subscription
preferences<http://swaccuho.us8.list-manage.com/profile?u=39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a&id=0c997b4578&e=5512ebe734>
Southwest Association of College & University Housing Officers · 624 W.
University #418 · Denton, TX 76207-1889 · USA

[Email Marketing Powered by
MailChimp]<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=39739635f9fd8d9092da3903a&afl=1>