[SS2S-Main] Re: temperature controller with arduino

  • From: Nathan Asdourian <rawliquid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 03:14:32 -0700

I took a look at the pid library available for arduino and while it is
functional, unless I have the concepts wrong, it is less than ideal.
In my mind, while functioning properly, the modified control values should
rarely hit the limits, and the control loop should actively attempt to
maintain the target value.
The first obvious issue was that with a 2 degree deficit the control loop
was able to max out just as it started to see the temp change.
When I reset it slightly above the target temp, initially it would click on
and off  with the on cycle getting shorter and shorter....then the control
loop stayed bottomed out as the temp dropped right past the target...

My test setup was a basic 12v resistive heating element controlled by an
arduino through a relay, with a ds18b20 sitting on top of the heating
element and a thin plate of aluminum as a heat spreader between them..
The program took all of maybe 30m to put together and debug. No failsafes,
or error checking...just the control loop and temp sensor.