[SS2S-Main] Re: temperature controller with arduino

  • From: "Jim Sealy Jr." <jimsealyjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 04:34:17 -0500

I have a home brew vegetable drier that uses the guts from a small ceramic (1000 watt electric) space heater from Walmart and a *Shimaden* digital temperature controller and a big wood box insulated with plain old pink insulation. It's been working in the temp range required here for years, so you might want to look into those as a possible heat source. I'm a big user of controllers like that for other things around the house too, having them on the sauna, hot tub, greenhouse, and wood drying kiln. COTS controllers like that are something to think about if reinventing the wheel isn't the top priority.

http://www.shimaden.co.jp/english/catalogues/index.html
Jim Sealy

On 7/1/2014 9:41 PM, James Fackert wrote:

well insulated box and you only need a few hundred watts to get to any reasonable temp. no need for many btus.

jim fackert

On Jul 1, 2014 10:18 PM, "Nathan Asdourian" <rawliquid@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:rawliquid@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Not sure if 100c would work since they are mostly plastic, but I
    do have a similar sized metal one that is significantly
    stronger....uses 110v...
    Has anyone considered propane? My uncle out in Indiana makes his
    own roasters...typically trailer deals for a quarter hog or
    more...The last one he made I believe he used the burners from a
    couple old furnaces...he did manage to max out what the tank was
    able to put out...had to turn off one of the burners to get the
    pressure back up.
    Anyways, just a thought though for all I know the stuff is
    probably flammable

    On Jul 1, 2014 6:37 PM, "Lampe, Mattias SLC CT PEK"
    <mattias.lampe@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mattias.lampe@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        I had not seen that kind of convection cooker before, but it
        seems like a very good idea to me. 1200W seems to be a typical
        power value, and if that’s not enough you could just add a
        second one.

        I’d assume it would still make sense to put one or two
        additional fans inside the oven to move a bit more air.

        Is it safe to assume that 100 degrees (or maybe slightly
        higher) wouldn’t hurt a cheap (computer-type) fan?

        Mattias

        *From:*sugarshot-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:sugarshot-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        From: Lampe, Mattias SLC CT PEK <mattias.lampe@xxxxxxxxxxx