[SS2S-Main] Re: Timely discussion on FAA approval for Class 3 launch

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:57:46 -0700

Hi Mark,

Thanks for keeping us updated, FYI, I am on the aRocket list too. Being a
Tripoli member, I am aware of the FAA requirements and what Tripoli will do for
even non members since keeping all rocketry in compliance is good for everyone.
I recently helped build a class 3 2-stage rocket for a 100,000' launch and have
met with FAA / AST people over the last few years. Last month I helped with the
launch of the CSXT rocket at Black Rock and discussed several things with the
people for that launch and got a feel for what will be required for a SS2S
launch.

For the rest of this year and next year we hope to prove our sugar motors with
both static tests and flights (both single and 2-stage) that we have had
trouble with in the past. If all goes to plan we're looking at a space shot in
2016.

Rick

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:29 AM, "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There's a vigorous discussion on the aRocket list (surprise!) about FAA
approval for Class 3 flights.

To summarize, it seems they still require 3 Sigma dispersion analysis and
dynamic stability analysis,
and one poster mentioned "that's why no 2-stage projects".  Then it was stated
that although it's
not cheap, the FAA does accept data from Rocksim Pro.

Then the following comment:  If you're a Tripoli member, they have a Class 3
committee that will do
the analysis for you -- and they use Rocksim Pro.

If accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it), this could make things quite a
bit easier when it
comes time to get that approval.

Cheers,
Mark L.
DC

This was also pasted as the most relevant portion of the current FAA regs:

(a) Class 2---High-Power Rockets. When a Class 2---High-Power Rocket
requires a certificate of waiver or authorization, the person planning
the operation must provide the information below on each type of rocket
to the FAA at least 45 days before the proposed operation. The FAA may
request additional information if necessary to ensure the proposed
operations can be safely conducted. The information shall include for
each type of Class 2 rocket expected to be flown:
(1) Estimated number of rockets,
(2) Type of propulsion (liquid or solid), fuel(s) and oxidizer(s),
(3) Description of the launcher(s) planned to be used, including any
airborne platform(s),
(4) Description of recovery system,
(5) Highest altitude, above ground level, expected to be reached,
(6) Launch site latitude, longitude, and elevation, and
(7) Any additional safety procedures that will be followed.
(b) Class 3---Advanced High-Power Rockets. When a Class 3---Advanced
High-Power Rocket requires a certificate of waiver or authorization the
person planning the operation must provide the information below for
each type of rocket to the FAA at least 45 days before the proposed
operation. The FAA may request additional information if necessary to
ensure the proposed operations can be safely conducted. The information
shall include for each type of Class 3 rocket expected to be flown:
(1) The information requirements of paragraph (a) of this section,
(2) Maximum possible range,
(3) The dynamic stability characteristics for the entire flight profile,
(4) A description of all major rocket systems, including structural,
pneumatic, propellant, propulsion, ignition, electrical, avionics,
recovery, wind-weighting, flight control, and tracking,
(5) A description of other support equipment necessary for a safe operation,
(6) The planned flight profile and sequence of events,
(7) All nominal impact areas, including those for any spent motors and
other discarded hardware, within three standard deviations of the mean
impact point,
(8) Launch commit criteria,
(9) Countdown procedures, and
(10) Mishap procedures.