[SS2S-Main] Re: Tempilstick

  • From: Vicente Alvero Zambrano <vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:17:57 +0100

Can you show some kind of this resistance?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:09:59 -0800
From: grants2@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SS2S-Main] Re: Tempilstick

    True, about melting thermocouples, but if that happens and it was a
    K thermocouple was mounted between the liner and motor case, the
    game was over long ago! Then use Pt resistance "thermocouples" if
    more than 1350 C is needed.

    btw multiple thermocouples don't need to be insulated from each
    other or the case at the junction.  Strange but true.  I brazed, TIG
    welded, and clamped three K thermouples on a sheet of steel, put it
    in the oven and the temperatures tracked appropriately.  That makes
    it easier to measure a liner at different places.

    Grant

    On 11/25/2014 9:32 AM, Hans Olaf Toft
      wrote:

      Thermocouples are cheap and work
        well, but if they are embedded in a sample that gets torched,
        they will at best record the surface temperature of the sample
        at the brief moment they are at the surface. It may work - and
        even provide usefull data - but an IR thermometer will read the
        surface temperature continuously.

        Hans

        On 11/25/2014 05:34 PM, Brian Su (Redacted sender
cycloniterulez@xxxxxxxxx
        for DMARC) wrote:

        This one sure looks much better.

          Kind Regards,

          Brian Su.

          Sent from my iPhone.

          On 25 Nov 2014, at 16:27, Grant Saviers <grants2@xxxxxxxxxxx>

          wrote:

            Here is another ebay seller with all thermocouple options,
            packaging variations, temperature compensated junctions, and
            EMI filtering, etc.  Looks to be professional grade
            engineering:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Channel-K-Type-Thermocouple-Amplifier-Conditioner-Analog-Output-AD8495-/331032888967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d13190687

            On 11/25/2014 8:10 AM, Grant
              Saviers wrote:

              A type K thermocouple is good to 1250 C.  It will need a
              simple instrumentation amplifier to get the signal voltage
              to a range compatible with the Arduino A/D converter.  For
              about $10 in parts you can build your own IN-AMP.  There
              are several choices for single chip IN-AMPs that will do
              the job and here is a board from China for $10, and the
              chip output is 10mv/deg C.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AD597-Ultimaker-Temperature-Control-Board-K-Thermocouple-Signal-Amplifier-/321597894984?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae0ba7148

              Grant

              On 11/25/2014 1:12 AM, flint
                hapirat (Redacted sender flinthapirat@xxxxxxxxx
                for DMARC) wrote:

                  One

                    comment - The tempilstick temperature pens are rated
                    between 38c-1093c...

                    Hope this
                      is still helpful.

                            From: