[SS2S-Main] Re: Tempilstick

  • From: Hans Olaf Toft <hot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:32:57 +0100

Thermocouples are cheap and work well, but if they are embedded in a sample that gets torched, they will at best record the surface temperature of the sample at the brief moment they are at the surface. It may work - and even provide usefull data - but an IR thermometer will read the surface temperature continuously.

Hans
On 11/25/2014 05:34 PM, Brian Su (Redacted sender cycloniterulez@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
This one sure looks much better.

Kind Regards,

Brian Su.

Sent from my iPhone.

On 25 Nov 2014, at 16:27, Grant Saviers <grants2@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:grants2@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Here is another ebay seller with all thermocouple options, packaging variations, temperature compensated junctions, and EMI filtering, etc. Looks to be professional grade engineering:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Channel-K-Type-Thermocouple-Amplifier-Conditioner-Analog-Output-AD8495-/331032888967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d13190687

On 11/25/2014 8:10 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
A type K thermocouple is good to 1250 C. It will need a simple instrumentation amplifier to get the signal voltage to a range compatible with the Arduino A/D converter. For about $10 in parts you can build your own IN-AMP. There are several choices for single chip IN-AMPs that will do the job and here is a board from China for $10, and the chip output is 10mv/deg C.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AD597-Ultimaker-Temperature-Control-Board-K-Thermocouple-Signal-Amplifier-/321597894984?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae0ba7148

Grant

On 11/25/2014 1:12 AM, flint hapirat (Redacted sender flinthapirat@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
One comment - The tempilstick temperature pens are rated between 38c-1093c...
Hope this is still helpful.

    From: m.bindhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx
    To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 23:21:22 +0800

    Hi Vicente,

    It is quite easy to build a data logger with an Arduino based
    micro controller, SD card, SD card socket, HEF 4050 voltage
    level shifter, DS1307 RTC and one (or more) MLX90614 IR
    thermometer(s) which communicate(s) over the I2C bus as well.
    I am just doing this for a medical project.

    Markus

    From: vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx
    To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [SS2S-Main] volunteering
    Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 19:21:26 +0100

    Hi all again,
    Although a long time do not talk about it, yet we continue the
    investigation of ablative materials.
    For the study of the material that will coat the nosecone of
    our rocket; Richard, Mattias and I already started last summer
    to work on it.

    Throughout this week, I've been talking to Hans, and he thought
    the possibility to also measure the temperature on the side of
    the wall that is in contact with the flame. Would be measured
    by an infrared thermometer.

    I am contacting you to see if anyone is interested, or know
    how, to attach an infrared thermometer with data logger that
    Liam is manufacturing for thermocouples.

    By this, we can obtain pairs of temperatures at the same point.
    Both outside and inside of the wall, in order to obtain among
    other data, values of thermal conductivity and heat capacity of
    each material.

    Thanks in advance for your cooperation and interest.