[SS2S-Main] Re: Tempilstick

  • From: Hans Olaf Toft <hot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:59:43 +0100

Ablation is likely to happen in the 400-600 C range, but the unit should be able to measure higher temperatures just in case. Getting the emissivity right may require a few experiments (and thermocouples). Warning: the cheap IR thermometers may have a fixed emissivity setting.

Hans

On 11/25/2014 08:34 PM, Brian Su (Redacted sender cycloniterulez@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
From my very limited experience with IR thermometers, they're only accurate when correctly compensated for the emissivity of the surface being measured. On top of that, the cheap units can't measure above 900 degrees Celsius.

Kind Regards,

Brian Su.

Sent from my iPhone.

On 25 Nov 2014, at 18:26, Vicente Alvero Zambrano <vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Exactly. We need a continuously record the temperature. Therefore, the two proposed options, the pencil and the thermocouple are not suitable for our purpose. We will use several thermocouples within the cone, temperature recording. But abroad, will be in direct contact with the flame. That is why, we want to use an infrared thermometer. Does anyone know how we can do one and connect it to the computer?

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:32:57 +0100
From: hot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SS2S-Main] Re: Tempilstick

Thermocouples are cheap and work well, but if they are embedded in a sample that gets torched, they will at best record the surface temperature of the sample at the brief moment they are at the surface. It may work - and even provide usefull data - but an IR thermometer will read the surface temperature continuously.
Hans
On 11/25/2014 05:34 PM, Brian Su (Redacted sender cycloniterulez@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:cycloniterulez@xxxxxxxxx> for DMARC) wrote:

    This one sure looks much better.

    Kind Regards,

    Brian Su.

    Sent from my iPhone.

    On 25 Nov 2014, at 16:27, Grant Saviers <grants2@xxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:grants2@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Here is another ebay seller with all thermocouple options,
        packaging variations, temperature compensated junctions, and
        EMI filtering, etc.  Looks to be professional grade engineering:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Channel-K-Type-Thermocouple-Amplifier-Conditioner-Analog-Output-AD8495-/331032888967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d13190687

        On 11/25/2014 8:10 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:

            A type K thermocouple is good to 1250 C.  It will need a
            simple instrumentation amplifier to get the signal
            voltage to a range compatible with the Arduino A/D
            converter.  For about $10 in parts you can build your own
            IN-AMP.  There are several choices for single chip
            IN-AMPs that will do the job and here is a board from
            China for $10, and the chip output is 10mv/deg C.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AD597-Ultimaker-Temperature-Control-Board-K-Thermocouple-Signal-Amplifier-/321597894984?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae0ba7148

            Grant

            On 11/25/2014 1:12 AM, flint hapirat (Redacted sender
            flinthapirat@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:flinthapirat@xxxxxxxxx>
            for DMARC) wrote:

                One comment - The tempilstick temperature pens are
                rated between 38c-1093c...
                Hope this is still helpful.

                    *From:* Vicente Alvero Zambrano
                    *To:* "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                    From: m.bindhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    <mailto:m.bindhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                    To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    <mailto:sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 23:21:22 +0800

                    Hi Vicente,

                    It is quite easy to build a data logger with an
                    Arduino based micro controller, SD card, SD card
                    socket, HEF 4050 voltage level shifter, DS1307
                    RTC and one (or more) MLX90614 IR thermometer(s)
                    which communicate(s) over the I2C bus as well.
                    I am just doing this for a medical project.

                    Markus

                    From: vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    <mailto:vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                    To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    <mailto:sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Subject: [SS2S-Main] volunteering
                    Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 19:21:26 +0100

                    Hi all again,
                    Although a long time do not talk about it, yet we
                    continue the investigation of ablative materials.
                    For the study of the material that will coat the
                    nosecone of our rocket; Richard, Mattias and I
                    already started last summer to work on it.

                    Throughout this week, I've been talking to Hans,
                    and he thought the possibility to also measure
                    the temperature on the side of the wall that is
                    in contact with the flame. Would be measured by
                    an infrared thermometer.

                    I am contacting you to see if anyone is
                    interested, or know how, to attach an infrared
                    thermometer with data logger that Liam is
                    manufacturing for thermocouples.

                    By this, we can obtain pairs of temperatures at
                    the same point. Both outside and inside of the
                    wall, in order to obtain among other data, values
                    of thermal conductivity and heat capacity of each
                    material.

                    Thanks in advance for your cooperation and interest.