[SS2S-Main] Re: Sugar Shot Weekly Activity Report - Dec.16-20, 2013

  • From: Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 17:47:29 -0700

On Wednesday, December 25, 2013, Cliff Bates wrote:

>     I kind of wonder about the terrific amount of build up of slag in the
> diversion part of the exhaust nozzle however.  It would appear that in
> flight if this happened it could cause a considerable yawing in the
> trajectory.

On APCP solids it's been shown that the addition of a small amount of
silicone oil will dramatically reduce slagging. It's also a powerful
anti-foam agent, and may help to reduce bubbles in the propellant.

>     Also it appeared to me that the exhaust velocity was noticeably lower
> than normal.  But I'm kind of negatively bias on this diffusion plate idea
> anyway.

Measuring the chamber pressure before and after the plate would give a good
idea of how much it's hurting thrust, but it's also something that could be
modeled.

Ben