[SS2S-Main] Re: Sugar Shot Weekly Activity Report -Dec.16-20, 2013

  • From: "Cliff Bates" <cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 15:36:41 -0800

    I'm not exactly known for my tact either Eric, but I think the frustration
you expressed was a bit out of line.  As I finished reading your comment, I
wondered if you had ever done any such tests yourself, or were just a side line
critic.

    Rick, my hat is off to you on including the failures in the video.  As you
said, most wouldn't have.  But in reality, that is where the learning curve is.
 Otherwise it is simply doctored science, where nobody learns from the
failure(s) because they were surpressed.  Consequently that causes someone else
to repeat the same problem again, and no advancement is made.  A rabid problem
in today's science, to "appear" all knowing.
    The thing is, Rick and the gang stuck it out, found the problem(s) by using
their heads, and ended up with a good test.  We all learned from the
problem(s), and if you think about it, learned more than if it had fired
perfectly the first time.

    I kind of wonder about the terrific amount of build up of slag in the
diversion part of the exhaust nozzle however.  It would appear that in flight
if this happened it could cause a considerable yawing in the trajectory.
    Also it appeared to me that the exhaust velocity was noticeably lower than
normal.  But I'm kind of negatively bias on this diffusion plate idea anyway.

    Cliff