[SS2S-Main] Re: Sugar Shot Weekly Activity Report - Dec.16-20, 2013

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 18:52:49 -0800 (PST)

Eric,

I can appreciate your comment. I could easily have left the four failed
attempts out of the video and made it look like things went wonderful. I know
many that try not to show things that don't work.

This was the first time we did this type of motor. The tops of the grains were
inhibited with polyester resin and a layer of pyrogen was painted across the
top and down the two sides of the grain. During motor assembly, the floating
nozzle slid forward and cracked the igniter's bridge wire, this was discovered
after the first attempt and inspection of the igniter. On the second attempt
with a new igniter, continuity was lost. On the third attempt, the igniter was
not of sufficient intensity to ignite the pyrogen painted on the top surface.
On the fourth attempt, a larger igniter was used and managed to burn the
pyrogen painted on the top inbitited surface (seen in the 4th picture of the
video) but failed to continue to burn down the sides of the grain. On the fifth
attempt, a 0.125 thick slice of APCP propellant was cut from a 38mm grain and
the igniter place in its center. That ignited the motor. This small K-class
motor was to test this very thing,
 how to ignite these grains, would the sliver catcher work, and would this
grain geometry burn as predicted. We were successful with these three things. A
new bulkhead and igniter design has already been machined that should solve
this problem.

If you look at our many previous videos of motor tests, you will see we have
nearly 100% ignition on the first attempt. Thank you for your comments.

Rick