[SS2S-Main] Re: Sugar Shot Weekly Activity Report -Dec.16-20, 2013

  • From: Richard Nakka <richard.rocketry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 12:35:00 -0600

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Cliff Bates <cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     I kind of wonder about the terrific amount of build up of slag in the
> diversion part of the exhaust nozzle however.  It would appear that in
> flight if this happened it could cause a considerable yawing in the
> trajectory.

I wouldn't be too worried the slag buildup on the nozzle. This buildup
occurs only during the tail-off, when the pressure in the motor is
decaying down to zero. For this motor, the max chamber pressure was
low, and tail-off duration was particularly long,  which explain the
excessive buildup.

>     Also it appeared to me that the exhaust velocity was noticeably lower
> than normal.  But I'm kind of negatively bias on this diffusion plate idea
> anyway.

On Rick's urging, we decided to be particularly conservative with this
2-grain motor test, keeping the Kn low and therefore maximum chamber
pressure was particularly low (max 265 psi). The next two test
firings, 4 and 6 grain respectively, will see proportionally higher
chamber pressures.

Richard