[SS2S-Main] Re: Sugar Shot Weekly Activity Report - Dec.16-20, 2013

  • From: flint hapirat <flinthapirat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 06:51:40 -0800 (PST)

NICE work guys!!!!
Good burn data, no cato - that's a start!

Agreed on the thermite Mark!
I had SOGGY motors (humitidy/igintion/delay issues) that ignited instantly with
CuO-Mg thermit. It's easy to use - and I've made small grains of it using NC
laqour (water free acetone is required!) and I love it. BP+Ti grains also works
well but nothing beats CuO-Mg.
Incase you wonder - Fe2O3-Mg/Al are harder to ignite.

Cheers,
Flint
http://www.pyrosystems.com/flint/

>________________________________

 how to ignite these grains, would the sliver catcher work, and would this
grain geometry burn as predicted. We were successful with these three things. A
new bulkhead and igniter design has already been machined that should solve
this problem.

>If you look at our many previous videos of motor tests, you will see we have
>nearly 100% ignition on the first attempt. Thank you for your comments.
>

>Rick
>

>________________________________

 chamber pressure was about 260 psi
>> (1.9Mpa), which compares well with the predicted pressure of 248 psi.
>> Due to problems with the igniter, the planned firings of the 4-grain
>> and 6-grain motor had to be postponed. Rick will be modifying the
>> forward bulkhead with an igniter fitting to prevent a similar igniter
>> issue from re-occurring.
>> Rick and Richard Dierking setting up the motor:
>> http://sugarshot.org/downloads/setup.jpg
>> Richard Dierking connecting the pressure gauge:
>> http://sugarshot.org/downloads/setup1.jpg
>> Motor at full thrust:
>> http://sugarshot.org/downloads/thrusting.jpg
>> Gauge reading at full thrust: