[SS2S-Main] Re: SV: Re: Sugar Shot Weekly Activity Report - Dec.16-20, 2013

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 18:13:46 -0800 (PST)

We used CuO-Al thermite for the ProtoSShot and MiniSShot motors but discarded
its use for the DoubleSShot, instead using conventional igniters to ignite a
small propellant motor inside the core and using that flame to ignite the
surrounding motor. We used a similar system to ignite the 12 APCP motors I
helped make for the Myth Busters JATO 3 episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHUsGFGhfmk with all 12 of the motors used on
their two cars and a static test igniting successfully the first time.

On the TM-1 and TM-2 motor tests this year, we used Estes motors to light the
core:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykLyrmrDKg8 successfully igniting those
motors the first time.

The Double D motor is different in not having a core. A new bulkhead has been
made, learning from the results of the last K-motor test, to facilitate grain
and igniter installation for this motor. A central igniter will be used to
ignite a disk of APCP attached to the top grain. Grooves will be cut to direct
the APCP flame front down the two uninhibited sides of the sugar grains and
igniting the motor.

Rick

Mark: I bought a couple of inexpensive digital stop watches, one for timing
when the on-board video camera is started a flight rockets, and one for
measuring time during high speed videos.