[SS2S-Main] Rocket help request

  • From: "James Jason Wentworth" <blackshire@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 23:57:02 -0900

Hello All,

Yesterday and today I have received numerous messages on the SS2S e-mail list.
I was wondering if anyone here could offer suggestions to solve a problem:

I am a Jetex and Rapier model jets enthusiast (see: www.jetex.org ).  While
Jetex motors and fuel haven't been made since 1972, Dr. Jan Zigmund ("Dr. Z")
in the Czech Republic has developed the Rapier motors, which are single-use
replacements for the Jetex motors (see: www.jetex.org/motors/motors-rapier.html
).  Unfortunately, they can now no longer be imported into the USA because the
Czech government has re-classified them as fireworks instead of as smoke
generators.  Also:

Recalling David Sleeter's "Incredible Five Cent Sugar Rocket" which could be
made safely--and in quantity--at a kitchen table using ordinary household
materials (see: http://blizzard.rwic.und.edu/~nordlie/rocket/nickle.html ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk3RV0lLygk , and
http://nineball.ve.carpathiahost.net/zero/Articles/Sugar_Rockets.html ),
something similar to this but optimized for model jet use (an end-burner
producing 1/10 of a newton or so of thrust, for 10 - 20 seconds or more) would
enable Jetex and Rapier flyers in the western hemisphere to enjoy our hobby
with no worries about being unable to obtain jet motors for our models.  Could
anyone here suggest propellant formulas for such low-thrust, long-burning jet
motors?  (The Rapier motors link above includes performance figures for the
various Rapier motors.)  Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Sincerely Yours,

James Jason Wentworth