[SS2S-Main] Re: Material for Nozzle fabrication

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 10:41:21 -0700 (PDT)

If you start the list it will be repopulated very quickly, trust me. I will be
the first 'subscriber'.

Rick
On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 10:35 AM, Steve Peterson
<steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey Rick,

I'd have started a freelist version of sugpro myself but to really
    get it going again we need the old subscriber list. I even thought
    about harvesting some old subscriber email addresses from the
    archives that are still around, but haven't felt that it was my
    perogative to just go ahead and do. Still, it *is* tempting....

--Steve

On 05/07/2014 08:29 AM, Rick Maschek wrote:
Steve,
>I remember that thread on sugpro and have done something similar since I have
>had to make a 6" graphite/phenolic nozzle for an APCP motor we are doing.
>Having made steel nozzles on my lathe doing that graphite would have been
>'messy'.
>
>I have many things I would have liked to post on sugpro if it were still up
>and running. When the sugarshot went down I suggested to Richard we go to
>freelists. Putting sugpro back up would be very easy on freelists if someone
>would like to do that.
>Here is the link:
>
>FreeLists - Free Mailing List Hosting
>
>Rick
>

> FreeLists - Free Mailing List Hosting
>FreeLists provides free mailing list hosting for technology-related topics
>
>View on www.freelists.org  Preview by Yahoo
>

>On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:03 AM, Steve Peterson
>mailto:steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>(Can we PLEASE get sugpro up and running on freelists.org??)
>
>The last time this issue came up on sugpro, the
                    suggestion was to use one of those drywall sanders
                    that run the air through water before exhausting it.
                    I don't have a link handy, but as I recall the item
                    wasn't that expensive and was available at home
                    improvement stores and the like.

>--Steve
>
>On 05/07/2014 04:15 AM,  (Redacted sender monsieurboo@xxxxxxx for DMARC)
>wrote:
>
>>Because I occasionally machine graphite and this is the first time I've seen
>>this particular concern raised, I did an online search for info.  I'd
>>characterize it as showing broad consensus but not unanimity.  Based on that,
>>I've formed my own conclusion but really think anyone who creates graphite
>>dust should review the literature yourself and assess your own operations
>>accordingly -- always keeping safety foremost.
>>
>>That's a fascinating and clever use of
                                graphite in mining.  LOX, like other
                                highly concentrated oxidizers, will
                                sensitize most organics so I can
                                certainly see a combination of tamped
                                graphite saturated with LOX being
                                effective.  Here we have three separate
                                cases (the mining case, graphite dust
                                dispersed in workspace air, and graphite
                                dust dispersed in the shopvac canister
                                or bag).  The fuel density and A/F
                                ratios are different for each case, as
                                is the likelihood of an ignition
                                trigger.  It's certainly interesting to
                                juggle the variables involved while
                                pondering the importance of "safety
                                first".

>>I rarely cross-post but this might be a good question to pose on arocket.
>>It's been pretty quiet over there for the past week and the response from
>>that bunch could be informative.  Any objections?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Mark L.

                              Nozzle fabrication

                                      Peterson wrote:

>>>The Graphite Store (http://www.graphitestore.com/). Right now, 2" rod, 48"
>>>long (medium extruded) is selling for $66.50. That much steel would be a lot
>>>more expensive. Unfortunately, I don't see any smaller diameters in the
>>>medium-grained; they do have smaller diameters in the fine-grained but it's
>>>more expensive--for instance 1" diameter by 24" long is $43.90. I would not
>>>recommend trying to machine away a 2" diameter chunk if all you need is 1"
>>>diameter--a vacuum helps control the dust, but it's still messy.

                                      switched to graphite and I still
                                      make steel nozzles on occasion. I
                                      never saw any erosion with sugar
                                      propellant.

                                      make a "form tool" for the
                                      convergent and divergent sections
                                      which makes the turning go much
                                      quicker--just grind down a spade
                                      bit, it doesn't have to be that
                                      sharp to get the job done.

wrote:
> [...]
                                            way to go, but you don't
                                            want conductive, fine dust
                                            getting into any electronics
                                            (such as a benchtop
                                            mini-lathe) so try to
                                            capture the dust at its
                                            source.

                                          Material for Nozzle
                                          fabrication

Aluminum is a good material to practice on or do mockups with, but I suspect
that it's melting point is way too low to be used as the actual nozzle.  It
might work as a carrier for a graphite or ceramic insert though.

Jeff Moore

Bend, Oregon