[SS2S-Main] Re: Material for Nozzle fabrication

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 08:29:54 -0700 (PDT)

Steve,
I remember that thread on sugpro and have done something similar since I have
had to make a 6" graphite/phenolic nozzle for an APCP motor we are doing.
Having made steel nozzles on my lathe doing that graphite would have been
'messy'.

I have many things I would have liked to post on sugpro if it were still up and
running. When the sugarshot went down I suggested to Richard we go to
freelists. Putting sugpro back up would be very easy on freelists if someone
would like to do that.
Here is the link:

FreeLists - Free Mailing List Hosting

Rick

 FreeLists - Free Mailing List Hosting
FreeLists provides free mailing list hosting for technology-related topics
View on www.freelists.org Preview by Yahoo

On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:03 AM, Steve Peterson
<steve_peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(Can we PLEASE get sugpro up and running on freelists.org??)

The last time this issue came up on sugpro, the suggestion was to
    use one of those drywall sanders that run the air through water
    before exhausting it. I don't have a link handy, but as I recall the
    item wasn't that expensive and was available at home improvement
    stores and the like.

--Steve

On 05/07/2014 04:15 AM,  (Redacted sender monsieurboo@xxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
Because I occasionally machine graphite and this is the first time I've seen
this particular concern raised, I did an online search for info.  I'd
characterize it as showing broad consensus but not unanimity.  Based on that,
I've formed my own conclusion but really think anyone who creates graphite dust
should review the literature yourself and assess your own operations
accordingly -- always keeping safety foremost.

>That's a fascinating and clever use of graphite in
                mining.  LOX, like other highly concentrated oxidizers,
                will sensitize most organics so I can certainly see a
                combination of tamped graphite saturated with LOX being
                effective.  Here we have three separate cases (the
                mining case, graphite dust dispersed in workspace air,
                and graphite dust dispersed in the shopvac canister or
                bag).  The fuel density and A/F ratios are different for
                each case, as is the likelihood of an ignition trigger.
                It's certainly interesting to juggle the variables
                involved while pondering the importance of "safety
                first".

>I rarely cross-post but this might be a good question to pose on arocket.
>It's been pretty quiet over there for the past week and the response from that
>bunch could be informative.  Any objections?
>
>Cheers,
>Mark L.

                        graphite and I still make steel nozzles on
                        occasion. I never saw any erosion with sugar
                        propellant.

>>>If you do go with graphite you can make a "form
                        tool" for the convergent and divergent sections
                        which makes the turning go much quicker--just
                        grind down a spade bit, it doesn't have to be
                        that sharp to get the job done.

>>>--Steve
>>>
>>>On 05/06/2014 03:59 AM,  (Redacted sender monsieurboo@xxxxxxx for DMARC)
>>>wrote:
>>>Strangely enough, the mid-grade (medium-grained) graphite tends to do the
>>>job better than the high-end, fine-grained material.  Less erosion, perhaps
>>>due to larger grains interlocking better and being ablated more slowly.  And
>>>of course, less expensive.

                              you don't want conductive, fine dust
                              getting into any electronics (such as a
                              benchtop mini-lathe) so try to capture the
                              dust at its source.

Aluminum is a good material to practice on or do mockups with, but I suspect
that it's melting point is way too low to be used as the actual nozzle.  It
might work as a carrier for a graphite or ceramic insert though.

Jeff Moore

Bend, Oregon