[SS2S-Main] Re: Material for Nozzle fabrication

  • From: Hans Olaf Toft <hot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 18:11:29 +0200

When using graphite for nozzles - keep in mind that it is a surprisingly good heat conductor.

Hans
On 05/06/2014 02:39 PM, Steve Peterson wrote:
The Graphite Store (www.graphitestore.com). Right now, 2" rod, 48" long (medium extruded) is selling for $66.50. That much steel would be a lot more expensive. Unfortunately, I don't see any smaller diameters in the medium-grained; they do have smaller diameters in the fine-grained but it's more expensive--for instance 1" diameter by 24" long is $43.90. I would not recommend trying to machine away a 2" diameter chunk if all you need is 1" diameter--a vacuum helps control the dust, but it's still messy.

I used 12L14 for years before I switched to graphite and I still make steel nozzles on occasion. I never saw any erosion with sugar propellant.

If you do go with graphite you can make a "form tool" for the convergent and divergent sections which makes the turning go much quicker--just grind down a spade bit, it doesn't have to be that sharp to get the job done.

--Steve

On 05/06/2014 03:59 AM, (Redacted sender monsieurboo@xxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
Strangely enough, the mid-grade (medium-grained) graphite tends to do the job better than the high-end, fine-grained material. Less erosion, perhaps due to larger grains interlocking better and being ablated more slowly. And of course, less expensive.

Graphite's definitely the way to go, but you don't want conductive, fine dust getting into any electronics (such as a benchtop mini-lathe) so try to capture the dust at its source.

Cheers,
Mark L.