[SS2S-Main] Re: Machining graphite

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "monsieurboo@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 16:52:21 -0400 (EDT)

Here's a summary of the suggestions I got back from my off-list inquiry about
graphite machining:

--Cover the lathe rails and bed.  Mount a thinshop vac extension head as close
as possible to where the bit is throwing thecutoff, such that the tip of the
vac head is following the bit. Add generalforced ventilation around the lathe
and into open air to keep the dust levellow.
-- Build a water trap.  Run the vacuum source (small water-capable shop vac)
into a 5-gal bucket w/ lid and fitting for hose which draws above the water
line.
Fill bucket half-full of water and a few drops of liquid soap.  Run the working
hose into the bucket but extend the fitting attached to lid BELOW the water
line
close to the bottom of the bucket.  The graphite dust collects nicely this way
w/o much of a mess.  But, expect it to be noisy.
-- Machining tip:  Slower revs and deeper cuts will place more stress on the
material (which can be flakey at the best of times), but produces larger chips
that aren’t as dirty as the finer stuff.
-- Also suggested:  “squirt motor oil on it once per pass, and clean any
residue
afterward using isopropanol.”

HTH!
Mark L.