[SS2S-Main] Re: Linux CNC

  • From: "Lampe, Mattias SLC CT PEK" <mattias.lampe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <'sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:05:40 +0800

Dear Vicente,

I think you are most likely looking at two identical packages. The stepper
driver is definitely the same Chinese brand (Wantai motors) and type, and I’d
assume the  only difference between the packages is the power supply (48V in
the Chinese package vs. 60V in the Spanish one).

I’ve also checked the price here in China (in Wantai’s local online shop), and
it’s only slightly cheaper (1390RMB) than your ebay link.

I’ve asked a friend (experienced CNC geek) for his opinion about the product
and let you know as soon as I get feedback.

The main argument for buying from the Spanish vendor would be the
easier/cheaper handling of warranty issues. If you buy from China and happen to
get faulty devices, it’s more expensive and troublesome to get the replacement.
It’s a tradeoff between price and risk.

… oh, already got feedback while typing this. I’ll just copy and paste it here:

>Hi.

>First…

>Is he really going to be using the DB25 (parallel) interface…   then he

>needs a stationary pc with a parallel port…

>I’d recommend to go for the USB based versions.

>The steppers and controllers are monster good and the PSU is quite fine…

>the controller board is very old fashion.

>I can quickly find some better replacement parts for him if you like.

>and concerning the code…  there are some really nice software to handle

>this that is commonly used for 3D printers and would benefit him a lot….

>Maybe that would be the way to go…  then he can run the control on

>Win/Lin/Mac or what ever he weants.

>And all he is making should be done using gcode, clearly the easiest way

>to make this…   he would only need 10-100 commands looped to weave a

>whole tube.  And it is pretty easy to hand code.

I suppose I can hook you two up later if you have more questions.

Hope it helps,

Mattias