[SS2S-Main] Re: Linux CNC

  • From: "Louis Schreyer" <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:15:58 +0100

Hello,

I know two people who made a winding machine, one of them sells carbon tubes
for sail ships.

I am also thinking of it, but had no time yet for it.

If you have no experience in cnc, either machine construction and programming,
then you will have a hard start, but it is possible.

You will not need 8.2A steppers, small 3-4 A steppers will be sufficient. You
will need a slow but strong stepper as turning motor, the best is with a
transmission on it.
Also you will need 2 axes, one Z and one X-Axis, only Z is not enough. So 3
steppers, one big with transmission, and two smaller ones for the filament.
The Z and X-Axis need to be fast, so big large motors are wrong here.

Then you need long steel guides, THK and others make these. Since precision is
not needed, you can also use a steel ruler and make a slide with ball bearings
as a guide.

Check out nanotec, and use Leadshine stepper drivers, a Meanwell 48V power
source, that is the czurrent standard in europe for smaller cnc machines.
It will cost a bit, but that is material you can rely on.

Next problem you can think of is: How to get the tube from the core… Not an
easy task.

Here you find a german thread from one of these machines, a large one for large
carbon tubes.

http://www.cncecke.de/forum/showthread.php?t=81548
<http://www.cncecke.de/forum/showthread.php?t=81548&;>

Louis