[SS2S-Main] Re: Infrared webcam

  • From: "Lampe, Mattias SLC CT PEK" <mattias.lampe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:22:11 +0800

Hi all,

after some experimenting I have to correct my previous statement that a
modified webcam (after removal/exchange of the IR filter) is unsuitable for
thermal imaging.

Here are my learnings:

-          Objects hotter than approx. 260 degrees centigrade (about 500
degrees Fahrenheit) seem to “light up” in the near infrared image. The hotter
the brighter, so at least a relative temperature comparison is possible, to
some extent. The tip of a hot soldering iron, for example, appears to shine
quite brightly when looking at it through a modified webcam.

-          Hot combustion gases show up brightly in the IR image, even if they
are invisible to the naked eye. (Not sure if it’s the CO2 or some other gas
that causes the effect.

As a proof, here are some videos taken simultaneously with three cheap webcams
of the same brad and model. One had the IR blocking filter removed, anouther
one had the blocking filter replaced by a filter blocking visible light (i.e.
only letting IR pass to the sensor), and the third camera was not modified at
all.

The so-so quality of the videos is not due to the camera but due to the slow
computer used for recording and encoding. If the videos don’t play in your
browser, downloading them may help.

This is me frying an egg as seen by a normal webcam (visible light only):

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6838BE39B86A56AC!178&authkey=!AKrXza_7QKYre8s&ithint=video%2c.mp4

Please note the familiar short, blue gas flame.

Looking only at the IR componente with a modified webcam, the flame looks
totally different:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6838BE39B86A56AC!176&authkey=!AOAS5uk5p0QffiA&ithint=video%2c.mp4

The hot gas moving upward is visible, and after shutting down the flame you can
see the metal frame “glowing” for quite a while. The frying pan itself does not
light up because it never really exceeds 200 degrees C.

Here is a post-processed version of the video with a so-called gradient-mapping
applied to the IR video:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6838BE39B86A56AC!177&authkey=!AKwVxXkHqhw0Z_k&ithint=video%2c.mp4

The camera that only had the IR blocking filter removed but no blocking filter
for visible light installed took the following video:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6838BE39B86A56AC!179&authkey=!AOZAg8XGkhGL0aQ&ithint=video%2c.mp4

(The videos were recorded simultaneously, and the lights in my kitchen are
fluorescent ones, containg very little IR. Things look quite a bit different
under incandescent lights.)

So after initial doubts I do see some value in using modified webcams for IR
imaging of rocket motor tests. Compared to low-end FLIR cameras the resolution
is higher and the cost is nearly negligible (less than 15$ for the cameras I
used). You can observe the flow of exhaust gases and see where things get
really hot (>260 degrees), and I could imagine that IR penetrates the smoke a
little bit better than visible light.

Absolute temperature measurements, however, would probably be impossible or at
least require quite a bit of calibration work.

Only a single egg was hurt in the process of recording the four videos ;-)
(The other 11 eggs from the same box will be hurt later.)

Hope it’s interesting. I’ll send the cameras to Vicente, who started this
thread.

Have a good day!

Mattias