[SS2S-Main] Re: Infrared webcam

  • From: "Lampe, Mattias SLC CT PEK" <mattias.lampe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 10:12:15 +0800

Hi,

I think removing the internal IR filter works with most webcams, and if you
want to make sure you ONLY see the infrared but not the visible part of the
spectrum, you can add a filter that only lets infrared light pass. A piece of
overexposed and developed color negative film (like from the beginning of a
film roll) works quite well for that purpose. It blocks nearly all visible
light and is quite transparent for IR. If you know someone who still shoots
pictures on film or someone who did so in the past and kept the negatives, they
should be able to find a suitable piece of material.

Not sure how you want to use the IR camera, but you should be aware that it
will not be a thermal imaging device. It will be sensitive only to near
infrared, and in order to emit those wavelengths a body must be quite hot
already, i.e. close to glowing.

I have a few unused webcams at home and will check if they can be converted.

Have a great day!

Mattias