[SS2S-Main] Re: Cfd simulation

  • From: Hans Olaf Toft <hot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 20:18:47 +0200

If the thickness is 3mm everywhere, then there is no need for a drawing.
Hans
On 07/31/2014 07:42 PM, Vicente Alvero Zambrano wrote:
I forget it. The thickness is 3 mm and the material is glass fiber

El 31/07/2014, a las 18:50, "Hans Olaf Toft" <hot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> escribió:

I have a software implementation of this method. I have never tried doing a profile of an entire nosecone though, but if You send me a drawing of the nosecone where I can see the thickness and material, I will do the sim. Could be interesting to compare with CFD snapshots.

Hans
On 07/31/2014 04:43 PM, Vicente Alvero Zambrano wrote:
Hi Hans,
I have read a bit over this report. I find it a great job. Do you think that it is possible to do a calculation sheet or fortran program to have data? Anyway, I'd like to also do a cfd simulation to have image.
What do you think?

Cheers

El 31/07/2014, a las 12:06, "Hans Olaf Toft" <hot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> escribió:

There were previously made some thermal simulations for MiniSShot. Although it is a worthy effort to produce flow simulations around a nosecone they are not really useful for calculating the true thermal load on the structure as they show the static temperature field corresponding to flying at a particular velocity infinitely.

Calculation of skin temperature requires calculation of the heat flux into the structure, the radiation to the universe and knowledge of the heat capacity of the structure. One will have to solve the dynamic heat problem, so the CFD You are looking for must be able to replicate the velocity profile and solve for the accumulated surface temperature - or - You would have to do a large number of static calculations and then use them as input for the calculation of skin temperature.

I suggest using the method of NACA Technical Note 1725, that enables a simplified calculation of the skin temperature of a conical body. Repeated calculations assuming little or no transversal heat flow could then give an estimated thermal load of the nosecone *except* the apex for which the model does not apply. CFD calculations will tend to give an upper boundary of the skin temperature, so this could possibly be used for the dimensioning the apex heat capacity.

Hans

On 07/31/2014 11:13 AM, Lampe, Mattias SLC CT PEK wrote:

Hi Vicente,

as far as I know, there is some Open Source Software that could possibly perform this kind of simulations (e.g. OpenFOAM), but it takes quite a bit of expert knowledge (on fluid dynamics AND on numerical simulation methods) to get any meaningful results out of such software.

A fast PC would probably be sufficient for the number crunching, so what you really need is someone with a solid background in fluid dynamics and practical simulation experience.

Mattias