[statisticalgenetics] Journal club - 15/03/12 - cancelled

  • From: Gibran Hemani <g.hemani@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "statisticalgenetics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <statisticalgenetics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:25:15 +0000

Dear all

We have no speaker for this week's journal club, so as an alternative the
COMBIO seminar, 9-10am at IMB looks like it has a couple of interesting talks
lined up. More details copied below.

See you there
Gib

-----------------------------

Hi everyone,

Please join us for COMBIO on March 15th at 9AM. As usual, we will have
two presentations in the QBP Level 3 Large Seminar Room.

You can follow the seminar series here:
https://sites.google.com/site/imbcombio/

If you wish to receive further notices of COMBIO
Subscribe by sending an email to
'combio-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:combio-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>'

There is a possibility of morning tea this week...

--
Craig Primmer - University of Turku, Academy Professor  (guest
researcher at IMB)

Ecological and evolutionary 'omics: a couple of examples and their
bioinformatic challenges

Sarah Song, Biostatistician - Queensland Centre for Medical Genomics and
UQ Centre for Clinical Research

qpure: A Tool to Estimate Tumor Cellularity from Genome-Wide
Single-Nucleotide Polymorphism Profiles

In this talk I will describe a statistical model to estimate tumour
cellularity from Single-Nucleotide Polymorphism array profiles of paired
tumour and normal samples. qpure is a software implementation of the
method. The advantage of using the qpure method is that it is an
unbiased statistical approach that directly measures tumor content from
the DNA sample that will be used in downstream molecular studies. Our
studies show that there is a medium correlation 0.42 (p-value = 0.0001)
between tumor cellularity estimated by qpure and histological review.
And there is a high correlation 0.87 (p-value < 2.2e-16) between
cellularity estimates by qpure and deep Ion Torrent sequencing of known
somatic variants; and a weaker correlation 0.32 (p-value = 0.004)
between IonTorrent sequencing and histological review. This suggests
that qpure is an effective tool to estimate tumour cellularity and will
assist in interpreting the biology of that particular cancer.

--
Lynn Fink, Ph.D.
Deputy Bioinformatics Manager

Queensland Centre for Medical Genomics