[startgroup] Re: Use of T.H.R.E.A.T.

  • From: "Brink, Johann" <jbrink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'startgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <startgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 12:51:12 -0700

Dear Alex
The THREAT acronym is a stand-in for a Tarasoff type situation where there is a
duty to warn and protect. While this may not be a legal, professional or
ethical requirement in countries other than the USA, the issue of whether there
exists a likely, identifiable, targeted victim remains urgent. While in Canada
we have not had clear case law to parallel the California Tarasoff ruling, our
courts have signalled that should such a case come to court, the bench would
follow the Tarasoff reasoning and require that arranging for the safety of an
identified and targeted victim would take preference over client
confidentiality. The scenario that you describe would  thus not in my view
qualify as a THREAT.

Best regards
Johann

Johann Brink MB ChB BA Hons FCPsych(SA) FRCPC
Director, Clinical Services & Scientific Director
Forensic Psychiatric Services Commission
BC Mental Health and Addiction Services
70 Colony Farm Road
Coquitlam, BC
V3C 5X9