[ssug-malappuram] Re: [MES-FSUG] Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick - TheCodeCracker Edition

  • From: ck raju <ck.thrissur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mes-fsug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 07:31:24 -0400

On 31/10/2010, Manu Krishnan T.V <tvmanukrishnan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 3:12 PM, jinesh kj <jinesh.k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As far as I know, DC++ will need the node with the file to be ON, whenever a
> person needs to download it, which is similar to the case of torrents. In
> the case of MESCE hostel, if 'person a' knows 'person b' have the file he
> needs, he can just go to his room and copy it in a pendrive or external HDD.
> Atleast, this will apply for MESCE. So, p2p doesn't make much sense.
Think this way, Manu. DC++ is already a mighty hit with student
community, maybe across the globe. People who have opted for
maintaining their repository through DC++, will hardly agree for a
rollback or for any other alternative like the one you mention.
Therefore the real merits must far outweigh our projections or claims.

I agree completely with you on the need of neither blocking nor
denying any technological features in a technical institution that
teaches and learns such features. Switches are devices meant to share
information, not to block them. Perhaps we can think of having
different policies for hostels and offices. However I am not so
optimistic that such views will be accepted in our institution. A few
weeks ago I argued with Director on the need to have student bodies
elected for hostels, who can be authorised to take decisions like
these. That could be a long term solution to such issues. Lets see how
things evolve.

If its the latest images that Jishnu was referring, I guess the
internet cache server might hold them. CNC can be asked to increase
its cache for proxy internet server. Additionally, since web-servers
can be configured for ports that are open, why not try that way ?
Mailing lists can be used to inform needy about the repositories. For
every block, there must be a counter-block !! That is the hallmark of
techne. Its not just craft, its arts too.

CK Raju

Our IRC channel #mes-fsug at irc.freenode.net. Webpage for GNULabs @ MESCE is
at http://gnulabs.org/mesce/
Wiki: http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Malappuram