[sphere] Marketing...

  • From: Alan Grimes <alangrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sphere@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:04:21 -0500

One of the reasons that I suspended my project (see announcement on
website), is that I didn't see a way that I could market my ideas in a
way that they would succede in the market and make money under current
conditions.

It is probably impossible to sucessfully maket a ground-up
hardware/software solution *AS A PC* in the current market.

In thinking about how to get around this, I had the idea of opening a
market called the *Utility PC". The idea is to get a machine on the
market that serves utility roles that aren't well suited to the
conventional PC and operating systems. These include network support,
home automation, and varrious embedded roles such as alignment racks at
car repair shops where the cost, complexity, and "features" of the
windows operating system are inappropriate.

These are the types of oddball jobs such as controlling the presentation
at places like planetariums, a role that I have seen filled by an Apple
IIe, but have been forgotten by the mainstream market. These are roles
that require a very versitile and easy to configure solution that can be
deployed without massive software development and training efforts on
the part of the user.

The trick to scucceding is to find a market that can support the product
that doesn't require colossal ammounts of initial capitol investment.

Anyway, this is a very sketchy idea that will need to be developed
further before it can be deployed...

--
WHAT? DOS won't boot? IMPOSSIBLE!
http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/  <my website.