[sphere] Re: Marketing...

  • From: Alan Grimes <alangrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sphere@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:23:28 -0700

jassenna wrote:
> Maybe you already did receive lots of similar replies to your
> e-mail,but I cannot know.

No, you are the very first, congratulations! =)

> The market you envisage is well known and quite extensive and is called
> "embedded computing".DOS still thrives in it and there are many other
> OS's on offer for such purposes.

I hardly know anything about that market. =( If you find any inf0z
on-line, I would be much obliged!

Another market that I have been thinking about in the last few days is
the server market where systems only need to do a handfull of things
extremely well (And with low power consumption.)

I might as well relate some news too.
        Today I went out and bought SuSE linux 8.0... So far, my experience
with it has been better than any other linux I have ever tried. It seems
my search for a development platform has met with success.
         I am recovering from a HD catastrophy, that wiped out a drive that
hadn't been formatted in 5 years. Previously I had been running BeOS in
paralell with the destroyed DOS partition. SuSE is already running
stunningly well, tomorrow I will attempt to get GRUB running on it and
see if I can make kernels with OSkit; if that succedes, I will choose a
programming language I want for a prototype of my OS.

        SuSE is quite good, as it is designed with the user in mind, but I
should note that when one of the utilities failed to install, it left
the mouse device disabled and I had to do some fairly advanced work with
only keyboard to restore the system. -- there is still a need for a much
better OS architecture.

--
It feels good to be home on my 486.
http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/