[sotd] October 13, 2004 [Everyday Mysteries: Fun Science Facts]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:59:24 -0300

        Site of the Day for Wednesday, October 13, 2004

        Everyday Mysteries: Fun Science Facts

Today's site from the Library of Congress, explores scientific questions
with answers provided by the Library's Science Reference Services. Gentle
Subscribers, who along with author Bill Bryson, too often find themselves
wondering how the grapefruit got its name, will discover the answer at this
site.

"Did you ever wonder why a camel has a hump? If you can really tell the
weather by listening to the chirp of a cricket? Or why our joints make
popping sounds? These questions deal with everyday phenomena that we often
take for granted, but each can be explained scientifically. ...Everyday
Mysteries will help you get the answers to these and many other of life's
most interesting questions through scientific inquiry. In addition, we will
introduce you to the Library of Congress' rich collections in science and
technology." - from the website

The site features a pleasantly designed array of browsable categories from
agriculture to zoology, accessible from the "Browse Other Questions and
Answers" link on the home page. Discover the science behind how sunscreens
work, an explanation for wrinkled toes and fingers in the bathtub and
whether zebras can be domesticated. Each answer provides nicely annotated
web links for additional information.

Drop over to the site for an enjoyable dip into the science behind everyday
mysteries at:

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>