[sotd] June 16, 2005 [Squashed Philosophers]

  • From: "The Site of the Day" <sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:01:35 -0300

        Site of the Day for Thursday, June 16, 2005

        Squashed Philosophers

Today's site offers the accommodating approach of compressing the works of
the great philosophers, whose theories have shaped western civilization,
into an encouragingly condensed form. Gentle Subscribers who lingered in
dreams during their philosophy lectures may enjoy a quick refresher on the
soaring ideas of western thought.

"There is no taking-part in the 'Great Debate' of Western civilisation, the
debate about who we are, how we should be governed, how we think and how we
ought to behave, without some familiarity with the, remarkably few,
thinkers in whose language and idiom the talk is conducted. ...
Unfortunately, life is rather short, the little storeroom of the brain
doesn't have extensible walls and the greatest of thinkers seem to also be
among the worst, and the lengthiest, of writers. ...  So, here are the most
used, most quoted, the most given, sources of the West. The books that have
defined the way the West thinks now, in their author's own words, but
condensed and abridged into something readable." - from the website

The site features more than forty pre-eminent philosophers including Plato,
Machiavelli, Descartes, Spinoza, Rousseau, Kant and Hegel, among many
others. Accurate summaries of their works have been achieved by painstaking
research and collation. Biographical sketches of the philosophers accompany
the "Very Squashed Version", which is followed by the abridged work. An
icon beside each philosopher indicates the percentage of the entire canon
presented and the time required for reading.

Waft to the site for a convenient resource on western philosophical thought
at:

http://www.btinternet.com/%7Eglynhughes/squashed/

  A.M. Holm
<admin-sotd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Manage your subscription and view the List archives on the web at:
<//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=sotd> and
 <//www.freelists.org/archives/sotd>