[sociate] The Great (Mayan) Calendar Change

  • From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sociate News" <sociate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:48:42 -0400

This one's a bit of a stretch, but it's a great, crazy idea that stretches
the brain.

Futurist  <http://www.13moon.com/Votan-bio.htm> José Argüelles, author of
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0939680386/jerrymichalskisr> The
Mayan Factor and several other works, coiner of the term Harmonic
Convergence (August 16-17, 1987) and decipherer of
<http://www.sungwh.freeserve.co.uk/sapienti/maya/maya.htm> Mayan time
keeping, says that one of the reasons we're off kilter is that we're pegging
our lives to the  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar>
Gregorian calendar, which was tweaked to make Easter more regular and has
all sorts of oddities and irregularities.

The natural cycle, says Argüelles, is one of 13:20, with 13 28-day months,
then meaningful increments of 20 (see the time keeping link above). Every
year there is one "day out of time" that sets us back on schedule. Switching
to this Thirteen Moon Calendar would help humankind get back in sync with
nature's universal cycles, he says.

Funny thing is, I tripped across this information the day before yesterday,
and the dates he recommends making the Great Calendar Change are
<http://www.foundationforthelawoftime.org/7-25-2004/newtime/01.html> today
and tomorrow. (I did have an amazing day today.) You can observe the 13:20
calendar on your own, if you like.

I like to question things, but this one took me outside my usual comfortable
field of inquiry. For example, I have often wondered why countries with
faiths that don't involve Jesus end up having to use a calendar that is
pegged to his life (at least for international dealings), but I never went
that step further to imagining a different setup.

Buckle your seatbelts!

posted by Jerry Michalski at 3:39
<http://www.sociate.com/blog/archives/2004_07_01_archive.html#10908245062380
7264> PM