[sociate] Taking some unexpected points of view

  • From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sociate News" <sociate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:05:47 -0500

Or, as Sean Savage puts it in his
<http://www.cheesebikini.com/208/archives/000978.html> clever post, "context
is everything."

Savage's assignment for a UC Berkeley
<http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/academics/courses/is208B/s04/syllabus.html>
course is to "propose a typology of the functions, origin and duration, size
and density of social networks, based upon your own experience."

What's fun is that he plays out "your own experience" from three different
and unusual points of view. To wit:

*       To machine intelligences, "human social networks cultivate a rich
meat, metal and asphalt topsoil along the Earth's surface that promotes the
gestation of digital life."
*       To corporations, HSNs "provide a food supply, a bloodstream, a
nervous system and muscles needed by Earth's giant multinational
corporations."
*       To memes, HSNs "constitute a habitable environment and a giant
playground."

Sean's great synthesis pulls together Dawkins' ideas of
<http://www.world-of-dawkins.com/Dawkins/Work/Books/selfish.htm> the selfish
gene, various great works on
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/031225461X/jerrymichalskisr>
corporate power and  <http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy.html>
technology  <http://www.robotuprising.com/> run
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/> amok, and many more. It also reminds
me of how fragile we are, yet how resilient. And how these powerful new
forces are reshaping our worlds.

Other perspectives I'd love to see include:

*       To viruses, HSNs are vehicles to manipulate (and sometimes kill;
oops!), contagion (propagation) vectors and DNA templates with which to
fuse.
*       To humans, HSNs are the source of
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385503865/jerrymichalskisr> wise
crowds,
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/051788433X/jerrymichalskisr> mad
crowds,  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Granovetter> weak ties and
<http://www.community-intelligence.com/blogs/public/archives/000288.html#mor
e> collective intelligence. All at once.

Novel species empathy. A key skill.

posted by Jerry at
<http://www.sociate.com/blog/archives/2005_12_01_archive.html#11357056652128
2244> 7:09 AM