[sociate] Renaming "Hijacking Catastrophe"

  • From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sociate News" <sociate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:49:07 -0400

I went with Jay Cross and a few other friends to see
<http://www.mef.tv/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=2&pid=1>
Hijacking Catastrophe, a level-headed, hard-hitting documentary with none of
the innuendo and Moore-ness of Fahrenheit 9/11 (e.g., the Tastee Freeze
truck, filming outside the Saudi Embassy). Jay's
<http://www.internettime.com/jayblog/archives/001467.html> review of
Hijacking voices my reactions perfectly.

A second, more pragmatic reason to rename the documentary is that the title
is quite difficult to recall. Each time I want to cite it, I have to pause.
Not good.

Parts of Fahrenheit are superb, such as Moore's disbelief that we could ship
140-odd Saudi citizens out of the country when nobody else could fly, with
no real interviews, no shadow of being sent to Guantanamo... nothing. Or the
fact that Bush's inaugural motorcade was pelted with eggs and rushed to the
White House (no wonder he had Ashcroft set up the unbelievable "
<http://www.amconmag.com/12_15_03/feature.html> Free Speech Zones"). Or his
emphasis on how the privileged start wars, but the poor die in them. How
come nobody reports these things? Why is it left to Moore?

A separate thought: that clip from Fahrenheit in which Bush says, "some
people call you the elites; I call you my base" should be a freestanding
piece, available everywhere. I'm glad it's been in the trailer.

posted by Jerry Michalski at 1:11
<http://www.sociate.com/blog/archives/2004_07_01_archive.html#10911297591137
4189> AM