[sociate] Misquoted and Misunderstood

  • From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sociate News" <sociate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Sociate Talk" <sociate-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Retreat!" <jerrys-retreat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:07:59 -0400

The saying "Good fences make good neighbors" means that fences improve
relationships between neighbors, right? Not really.

Being an "Indian giver" (if you'll pardon the non-PC term) is generally
considered a pejorative. Should it be?

"My country, right or wrong" was not intended as a blind patriotic
statement. The full quote is "My country, right or wrong. When right, to be
kept right. When wrong, to be put right."

I've begun to debunk a few misquoted and misunderstood memes on my wiki,
right here.